Does your business belong to any of these categories?
- You’re planning to venture into other countries by setting up an office with local employees, running operations internally and selling your products and services to the local people.
- You’re planning to venture into other countries by acquiring an established company with existing employees, standard operating procedures and strong sales that is already proven to generate revenue in their local region.
- You’re dealing with shipping and handling of goods to your customers across the world and will have to deal with maritime and logistics companies.
- You’re not relocating but you’re dealing with clients from around the world. Either you will have to travel or you communicate via online media.
- You’re running global operations locally to consumers where customer support is vital in dealing with different languages.
If your business falls under any of the above categories, then you know translation and interpretation of languages are the most important and crucial elements to ensuring the success of your business.
Interpretation Services are differentiated in three ways:
Whispered Interpretation Services, Simultaneous Interpretation Services and Consecutive Interpretation Services.
Whispered interpretation services are mainly performed during court proceedings where an interpreter is required to sit beside the plaintiff or defendant and whisper the translated words into his or her ear.
Simultaneous interpretation services require the interpreter to be responsible for orally translating a speech in real time. One of the most commonly used modes is sign language.
Consecutive interpretation services require the interpreter and speaker to coordinate closely when delivering messages. The speaker will deliver a few sentences and pause. During the pause, the interpreter will then translate the original message and deliver it the target audience in a different language.
There are 6 major types of interpretation services:
- Conference Interpretation Service
International conferences have been picking up over the years with the growth of the internet and globalization. Professional language solutions service providers will be required to employ experienced conference interpreters in aiding their clients during conferences. Conference interpreters have to be highly skilled individuals because they may be required to perform simultaneous or consecutive interpretation service.
- Medical Interpretation Service
Medical and pharmaceutical companies demand medical interpretation services because they are required to be mediators between the medical professional and the patient. The medical language spoken or terms used in this industry can be unfamiliar difficult to understand by many. Hence companies employ professional medical interpreters who are experienced and well-versed with the medical terminology, medicines, ethics, and general procedures in hospitals.
Companies dealing with foreign counterparts or clients require professional interpreters to accompany them during client handling, public relations, customer support, appointments and meetings, tours and interviews.
- Legal Interpretation Service
Professional interpreters play vital roles in courtrooms in support for their clients’ cases. They must be meticulous in their translation services so as not to provide any misunderstanding or dual meaning to any statements made.
Media interpreters are prevalent on television especially during live or recorded interviews or press conferences. News agencies tend to hire media interpreters frequently due to its nature of business. Whether it is for conducting interviews with international companies, directors, or celebrities, media interpretation services tend to be one of the most stressful jobs, especially when it’s a live interview.
- Public Sector Interpretation Service
Public sector interpreters are required to provide bi-directional interpreting which means that the interpreter needs to relay messages in both the original and targeted languages. This interpreting service is usually performed for public sector organizations such as government, healthcare, education, NGOs and social organization. Similar to a conference interpreter, a public sector interpreter needs to be highly trained and experienced due to the nature of the industry.
Hiring an interpreter as opposed to engaging a professional language solutions company differ greatly. Companies across the globe find it easier and hassle-free to engage with translation agencies, like Transn International Singapore, that can carry the full responsibility of providing professional interpretation services in multitudes of industries.