- Business,Content Marketing,Interpretation Services,Medical Translation,Translation Services
- No comments
With the language solutions service industry set to explode tremendously in the coming years, National Translation Committee of Singapore couldn’t have picked a much better time to launch their new Translation Talent Development Scheme.
The Translation Talent Development Scheme (TTDS) is a co-sponsorship grant that supports Singaporean translation and interpretation (T&I) practitioners to further develop their capabilities and attain mastery of their skills. TTDS will subsidise 90% of fees associated with capability development programmes such as courses, workshops and seminars, subject to a cap of S$10,000 per awardee.
The scheme is only open to Singaporean translation and interpretation practitioners with at least 3 years of relevant working experience. This initiative aims to groom the next generation of professional translators and interpreters and is applicable for programmes in and out of Singapore. This opportunity is not limited to short courses, workshops, or seminars but to any or all language and industry-related courses leading to a Diploma, Postgraduate Diploma, Bachelor’s Degree or even Masters Degree.
Mr Palaniappan is a member of the National Translation Committee with more than 30 years of experience in the language solutions service industry and works in the Parliament of Singapore as the head specialist for English and Tamil. He stated, “There is a shortage of qualified translators and interpreters in Singapore and this will help to develop the pool of professionals. There is a growing need for translation today. Not only for translating government documents, policies and programmes, but we need more translators who are well equipped in translating poems and literary works from one language to another, especially in a multi-racial society like ours.”
Singapore became a multi-racial immigrant society when it became a vibrant trading port between the east and the west. According to the 2017 Population Brief by the Prime Minister’s Office, Strategy Group of Singapore, the Singapore citizens only make up 61% of the country’s population. The remaining 39% is made up of permanent residents and expats all over the world. With that being said, English is still one of the key languages used for education and business in Singapore.
Being a professional translator and interpreter is not an overnight journey, neither is it one that is suitably enough for those who simply understand and speak multiple languages. Translation goes beyond that. As a professional translator, one needs to consider the language, tone, structure, and even the cultural understanding and beliefs, so as not to blindly translate any sensitive topics.
This scheme is intended to help the experienced group of translation professionals who are already working in the language solutions service industry and want to upgrade their skills and knowledge.
Mr Chee Hong Tat, Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Communications and Information then further added during the initiative at the National Translation Committee Appreciation Dinner, “We have various types of schemes to support our translation talents starting from schools, but what’s important is also to reach out to existing translation professionals who are already working in the industry.”
At Transn International Singapore, we provide professional translation services, interpretation services, transcription services and subtitling services. We view the Translation Talent Development Scheme as an opportunity because it encourages the growth in the language solutions services industry.
As it stands, Transn has a very strict hiring process and the process of filtering a professional translator can be tedious. A person who speaks multiple languages does not mean he or she is able to translate professionally. What TTDS does is to pre-filter these professionals by encouraging self-development and personal growth.
To take it a step further, Transn’s pool of professional translators come from all over the world and are categorized into specific industries, based on specific knowledge and experience. We believe that a translator who may be well versed in providing finance translation services, may not be suitable for other industry-based services like legal translation services, logistics translation services, construction translation services, maritime translation services, media translation services, or pharmaceutical translation services, regardless of professionalism.
With the National Translation Committee providing this new scheme to help translators and interpreters, Singapore is now becoming one of the best places to engage a professional language solutions service provider for businesses all set to expand internationally or grow the spectrum of your audience.